Restoration Roller!

Disassembly began back in Feburary.






I dropped the frame and a bunch of other large bits off at my powder coater to be sand blasted so they are ready for paint.

With all of that out of the shop, all I had was the motor to work on. I started cleaning up old parts to see what was going to be restorable and what I needed to replace. Between the ultrasonic cleaner, a wire wheel, and some metal polish, I’ve been able to make that determination easy!

Then I took apart the clutch side to install the kickstarter assembly and rewire the stator.


After removing the flywheel, I rewired the stator to 12V. I broke the ground between the two windings here:

Finally, I soldered in new leads to a homemade “harness”, if you would call two wires a harness! Still trying to find a better, thicker sheathing to use.

With the stator finished, I reassembled all that and moved on to modifying the kickstarter assembly. Apparently these old Ducati’s where notorious for having slipping kickstarters due to an ‘engineering flaw’. Luckily there is the simple fix of drilling and threading another bolt into the main engine case as depicted in the guide below!
http://www.motoscrubs.com/Narrowcase_Kick_Start_Repair/Narrowcase_Kick_Start_Repair.htm

So, with great care, I began.




You might have noticed the damage to the case in some of the images. That is from the kickstarter gear not having enough surface area to adequately stop on the case stub, so it eventually breaks off pieces of case, kick by kick. Again, there’s a fix for that!



With the engine bits fixed, I cleaned up the carb that was dirty on the outside and filthy on the inside.


Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Next it was Rub ‘n Buff time! Oh the sheer joy and satisfaction this little tube elicits!

Here are some side by sides. See if you can spot the raw aluminum vs the Rub ‘n Buff…



I even used it on the carb!

With the rest of the bike parts back from the sandblaster, they were ready to go off to paint.

I fixed and cleaned up the headlight bucket and also got around to brazing the tank to fill the pin holes along the seams. I then used POR15 to seal the inside of the tank before giving it to the paint.


I finished test fitting the pieces together including the rear fender fitment to drill the holes for the registration holder.



Once the frame parts were dropped off with the painter, I grabbed the de-laced rims to clean them up.

I also did not have the center of the hubs polished so that I wouldn’t have to maintain them and opted to use the silver leaf rub-n-buff on them instead. The outside of the hubs is polished, the first groove is the rub-n-buff wiped on, and the other grooves are the rub-n-buff before wiping. Incredible, it looks like its been polished!

Then on to the forks. Is the rub ‘n buff that good?!

Yes…yes it is!


This bike isn’t going to be a show bike. Bikes were built to ride, and ridden this bike will be, so I’m not to worried that it ‘could look better.’ I also pulled out the rest of the polished pieces and stuck them on the motor. She’s finally complete and a thing of beauty…I’m almost tempted to make a coffee table stand out of it…almost!


I wasn’t satisfied with the initial shined so I got a Flitz buff ball for my drill to get the wheels to a nice shine before I sent them to Motorcycle Wheel Works to have them laced with all stainless bits. Once I saw the remarkable difference that the buff ball made, I dug into my parts box to see what else I could shine up.

This is simply some Wizard’s Metal polish and the buff ball. It’s amazing how well everything is cleaning up with seemingly little effort. I cleaned up the rear Ceriani’s as well and found the one of my springs is bent. Looks like the bike had taken a spill in a former life. We’ll see what to do about this.

I love the before and after shots. Incredibly satisfying. Between the Rub n’ Buff and the Flitz ball, this project is a piece of cake!

I got almost all the parts back from the painter, minus the tank and front fender. From disassembly to reassembly, it is a roller now! Though, before I got the front end assembled, I couldn’t get the top triple to fit on the steering head because of the tapered bearings that were on it. Therefore, I got my hands on some original ball bearing races, some 3/16″ ball bearings and easily put it back together like stock.




Next came the forks.








Next comes the motor…and you all know the rest!

Leave a Reply

Follow by Email

 
r1-03626-015a img_1449 IMG_20160416_153407 img_0074
Archived
CycleGear Racing
Nor Cal Ducati DOC