Wheelie Machine!

Today, Missouri saw its first 65 degree day in quite a long time. To celebrate this occasion, I finished up the mods to the DR650 and did a little routine maintenance as well. When the jet kit had arrived a few weeks back, I modified and adjust the carb so that it was ready to go:

  • Installed the proper jets
    • 155 Main
    • 40 Pilot
    • 35 Leak
    • EMP Needle
  • Installed flex mixture screw
  • Replaced the acceleration pump spring with an APS from Merge racing
  • Drilled and tapped the location for the throttle pull cable


I also replaced the infamous leaking cam chain tensioner gasket. I had the airbox off as well so I could open it up. I zip-tied a piece of drywall sanding mesh over the top just as added security. And with the airbox off, I cut away some excess from the TwinAir filter to remove any chance of intake turbulence.




When I left off, I had figured out a way to bridge the distance from the carb to the airbox sleeve with a piece of exhaust pipe. I then sealed the inside with high-temp RTV silicone to prevent any air leaks, and ran high-temp JB Weld along the outside to ensure that it stays in place. The compression fit was really enough but ever am I doomed to over-engineer things.

As I let that cure in the sun, I proceeded to button up the new exhaust. I removed the old anchor and fitted the GSXR muffler and Keintech midpipe in place. I replaced all the fasteners that weren’t stainless steel with button-head allen stainless fasteners. Since the last trip, everything on this bike needs to be stainless, or non-rusting, hardware secured with lock washers or lock nuts. I also got a new header gasket while I was at it and ground down the excess weld on the header flange to increase exhaust flow and to eliminate any possible turbulence. With the bike apart, I went ahead and replaced the exhaust valve cover gasket since the previous one was so flattened it wouldn’t stop leaking.



With the RTV and JB Weld solid, I disconnected the stock BST40 carb and promptly drop kicked it into the nearest trash can. I then had two more adjustments to make as I hooked up the carb. The first was to set the float level to 9mm as described in MX_Rob’s install guide, and then ensure that gas wasn’t hitting the slide. With those procedures done, I installed the throttle cables, took up the slack, swapped the pull choke on the carb for the DR’s cable choke and fit her in place.



The airbox was ever the PITA to get reinstalled, but I managed. After the vent tubes were routed and the flex mixture screw zip tied to the gas line, it was ready for a test fire. I was surprised how quickly she started up! Of course, she also died pretty quick too since I hadn’t set the idle. A few minutes messing with that and it was like nothing had ever changed on the bike. I then took to the streets and immediately pulled the front wheel into the air without trying. The throttle is exactly what I hoped it would be and the power from the combination of carb and exhaust blew me away! What is even more difficult for me to believe is that after a few laps around the block, by both myself and my friend Dave, we came to the conclusion that it needs no further adjustments!


Tomorrow I will change the oil and take her for a nice long ride!

 

Leave a Reply

Follow by Email

 
r1-03626-015a IMG_20160114_195712 IMG_20160629_180116 IMG_20161026_210601
Archived
CycleGear Racing
Nor Cal Ducati DOC